Monday, June 16, 2008

Nursing Board Exam in the Philippines

Well, I'm just a new graduate from University of Perpetual Help Sytem Dalta - Las Piñas and just took the June Board Exam obviously waiting for the results of the exam.

I just reviewed by myself because personally I really do not believe in what the review centers are offering the nursing students. Probably it's just an old habit of mine that when I feel something's wrong, regardless of its popularity, I will stand by what I believe in. Although some people might really feel the intense need of a review center because of their personal beliefs, still I stand by my decision and hopefully, the results of the June Board exam will prove my principles.

Here are the factors why I personally favor self-review.

1. I control my time - Rationale Unlike when you are reviewing in Manila, either you are near the review center (so it won't really bother you), you have to rent a boarding room for 2 months, or you have to go back and forth which really consumes a lot of your precious time. Example, if you have a traveling time from your house to the review center of 1 to 2 hours, then you will attend an 8-hour lecture, therefore, 10 to 12 hours of your day is consumed, and you'll be so tired when you arrive home disabling you to study further, but if your just in your room studying, you can wake up at around 7, take your breakfast, and review from 8, then take you lunch and dinner for 2 hours, watch tv or do anything else for 2 hours, and review up to 12 mn, so you'll have like 12 to 14 hours to review which is way better.

2. I can study anything, if not everything, by using my textbooks and the internet - Rationale Review centers will discuss what was common in the previous board examinations, for example, surely Congestive Heart Failure will be thoroughly discussed because it usually appears in the questions in the board exam, and other topics which were not common in the exam will not be discussed properly. June 2008 did not contain any questions related to CHF. By self-reviewing, with enough time, I will be able to understand and read all the nursing topics provided in the textbooks.

3. I have my own leisure time - Rationale I'm a kind of person who needs time to relax, so when I feel the need to stop reading or reviewing, I'll just open the television and watch my favorite shows, or rather, I can just ask my friends to have a little party (like drinking! :-) )

4. I am able to pray and go to church everyday - Rationale I also believe that in passing the board exam, intelligence is not the main factor, but it is combined with a strong faith in God. I strongly believe and have faith that through God, nothing is impossible.

5. Since I am blessed with a personal computer (but not with a dsl), I am able to find a lot of resources in the web - Rationale You will be able to find a lot of study materials in the web and tips and suggestions on where to focus and how to have a good study habit and etc. And believe me, you can find a Brunner and Sudarth's Medical Surgical Nursing 10th edition (colored edition) in a lot of websites. So imagine a lot of books you can download and study.

That's why I created this blog to help nursing students in proper guidance towards their review for the board examination in the Philippines. I will try to gather all the websites which will be useful for studying the board and at the same time, studying for the 4-year course of BSN.

Just a small piece of advise, in order to become a great nurse, one must equip self with complete knowledge of nursing practice, and reading is one of the best method of learning. One cannot say to himself I hate reading, try to start a habit of reading. If you find it difficult to comprehend or understand difficult medical terms or even english terms, either purchase a dictionary or rely in the internet. :)

No comments: